Get The Look || Captain Sharon Raydor [Major Crimes]


In previous posts and my September favourites video, you all must be aware by now how much I simple adore Mary McDonnell, Major Crimes and her character in said show, Captain Sharon Raydor. So, with Halloween in a couple of weeks I thought that I would share with you a costume idea for her outfit from Major Crimes Season 3 Promotional Photoshoot, plus a make-up and hair tutorial so that you can dress up as Captain Raydor (aka Darth Raydor).






Dress: New Look // £27.99.
This isn't exactly like the dress worn in the promotional photoshoot but it's so similar. The hem is a little higher than Mary's dress but that can be forgiven, right? It's such a beautiful shade of blue and the peplum sits very nicely at the waist. There is a cut out detail at the back of the dress just to make it that bit more transitional. It can be worn for any occasion outside of Halloween, a date. a night out or *insert occasion here*. But if that cut out detail doesn't work for you, a nice fitted jacket will cover that right up. Raydor wears those too, remember.


Shoes: New Look // £19.99.
These are the most gorgeous shade of pink. They have a gorgeous gold wrap-like embellishment on the heel that just screams to my inner-magpie! Shiny, shiny! And what's more and what is so Raydor, they have a pointed toe. That pointed toe is key to the Raydor look.



Make-Up & Hair.
In this video I demonstrate how to get Captain Raydor's look. Now, I'm not as gorgeous as Mary, I'm undeniably pale and my hair is like a bag of beansprout noodles on a good day and I'm by no means a professional with make-up. Nevertheless, I did my best. I spent hours scowering the Internet for a good, high-resolution season 3 promotional photo of the Major Crimes cast to get a better look at Mary's make-up but alas, I couldn't find one that was of really good quality. I had to extrapolate what I could from the images and from previous cast promotional photos and high-resolution episodic stills. The make-up style that they used for Raydor changed from season to season. For season 3, they went for a very natural and subtle look with her make-up. They used more eyeliner than I did and that's because of one very simple reason - I'm still getting used to eyeliner and I didn't want to mess up. Okay, maybe that's two reasons.

So sit back, relax and watch me *cough*attempt to*cough* transform myself into Captain Sharon Raydor of the Major Crimes Division, LAPD.



Make Up Used:
***You can substitute anything you like for something that you have.
- Benefit The Porefessional Primer.
- NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer.
- Rimmel London Lashing Finish Foundation - Light Porcelain & Ivory.
          - Blended together.
- Rimmel London Stay Matte Pressed Powder - Translucent.
- Urban Decay Naked Flushed Palette - Streak.
          - Use the Bronzer & Highlighter.
- L'Oreal Paris True Match Le Blush - Peach.
- L'Oreal Paris Color Riche Mono Eyeshadow - 101 Macadam Princess.
- Bourjois Smoky Stories Eyeshadow Palette - Grey and Night.
- The Body Shop Carbon Eye Definer - Black.
- Revlon Lash Potion Mascara.
- Anastasia Brow Wiz Eyebrow Pencil - Taupe/Ash Blonde.
- Maybelline Color Sensation Lipstick - 630 Velvet Beige,

Tools Used:
*** Use whatever tools that you wish.
- Real Techniques Brushes.
- Sephora Italia Eyeshadow Brushes.
- MAC 217 Blending Brush.
- Forever 21 Shadow Brush..
- TRESemmé Hair Wand.
- TRESemmé Care & Protect Heat Defense spray.
- Silvikrin Classic Hairspray - 2 Natural Hold.






That was the part where I attempted to model. I'm not as gorgeous as Mary McDonnell, or as tall or as physically slight as she is - the woman swims all the time (maybe there's a clue in there). Nevertheless, I felt very much like Captain Raydor when I put this dress and make-up combination on. Boom!

If you have any questions, queries or concerns, feel free to contact me and I will do my best to answer you. If you try this, please, please, please share your photos as I would love to see your costumes and take on this look. Tag me on Instagram or Twitter; @29Sapphires. 

Happy Trick or Treating. 




http://kazzified29.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/style-icon-mary-mcdonnell.html
Click the image above to go the Style Icon: Mary McDonnell post

Comments

Popular Posts