GET THE 'FEMININE' LOOK || Declan Macrae [Sanctuary]


Well.... This is new, isn't it? For this week's Fandom Friday post, I thought that I would bring you all something a little bit different but still fandom based. One of my favourite shows ever was Sanctuary and I owe a lot to this show. It brought me some of my most closest and treasured friends and it introduced me to some insanely talented actors. In particular, it introduced Robert Lawrenson, who played Declan Macrae, aka the badass from Blackpool and the focus of this week's post. This week I'm bringing you a feminine styling of a bloke's style. Hey, if ladies can dress up as Doctor Who and Captain Malcolm Reynolds (Firefly), then I'm going to put together an outfit for Declan Macrae from Sanctuary. Accent sold separately.




To start with, Declan's wardrobe is quite monochromatic with a pop of colour here and there, usually from a shirt over a jumper. Sometimes the colour can be from the jacket itself (2x07 Veritas) or a shirt by itself (3x02 Firewall). All in all, his style aims at comfort and, I guess, stealth because he is a BAMF and black really speaks to that. Also, to appropriate this I choose a lot of tailored and fitted items, which I love wearing!
But this post was completely inspired when I spied that gloriously gorgeous jacket on the Topshop website. It was perfection at first sight! For boots, you can wear any black or dark coloured boots that you like, I just liked the look of these ones from the New Look website which just happened to have a lot of what I was looking for.
Because this look is all about taking a bloke's look and appropriating it for a girl, I decided to take it a step further and to include some makeup. This step is completely optional but I've been embracing my feminine side over the past year and to be completely honest... I wanted to play around with my new purchases and create a simple makeup look. Any excuse, right?



Makeup Used:
Complexion:
Primer: MaxFactor Facefinity All Day Primer
Foundation: Rimmel Lasting Finish 25hr Full Coverage Foundation - Ivory
Concealer: Collection Lasting Perfection Ultimate Wear Concealer - Fair
Powder: Bourjois Healthy Balance Unifying Powder - Vanilla
Blush: Sleek Blush - Rose Gold
Lipliner: Rimmel Exaggerate lip liner -  063 Eastend Snob
Lip Colour: Wet N Wild Megaslicks Balm Stain - E126
Eyes:
Shadow Primer: Too Faced Shadow Insurance - Candlelight
Base: Benefit Boi-ing Concealer - 01
          Maybelline 24hr Color Tattoo - On and On Bronze
Eyeshadow: W7 In the Buff Natural Nude palette
Eyeliner: MAC Powerpoint Eye Pencil - Bountiful Brown
Mascara: Revlon Lash Potion - Blackened Brown
Brows: Soap & Glory Archery - Blondeshell
             ELF Lash & Brow Clear Mascara
Tools Used:
Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge
Real Techniques Contour Brush
Real Techniques Blush Brush
Eco Tools Eye Enhancing Duo Brush - Blend & Smudge
Eco Toosl Eye Enhancing Duo Brush - Define & Shade
Ted Baker eyelash curlers

FACE



01 - To prime my face and to make my makeup last, I'm using my MaxFactor Facefinity All Day Primer and I'm just applying that all over my skin.
02 - Then I primed my eyelids with my Too Faced Shadow Insurance eyeshadow primer. My eyelids are seriously dry at the moment and this helps the eyeshadows to stay put.




03 - I used my Rimmel Lasting Finish Full Coverage foundation in the shade Ivory. For once, my Real Techniques Buffing Brush got a rest. I've recently started to use my Real Techniques Miraacle Complexion Sponge having bought it months ago. I find that it blends full coverage products a lot easier than a brush does as it doesn't leave any streaks.




04 - Alongside those afforementioned eyelid problems, the skin under my eyes is having some issues and even though I used a full coverage foundation, I wanted to use a little something extra to hide those probelms. I reached for the Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer. This stuff is awesome that it practically has 'cult' status in the beauty world! It hid what I wanted and also it gave my pale skin a hit of a glow so that I didn't look so zombified.





05 - To set my concealer and my foundation, I used Bourjois' Healthy Balance powder in Vanilla. I used my Real Techniques Contour Brush to set everything around my T-zone but I did take it all over my face later on to set the foundation because that needed setting too.




06 - I took a very light hand with my blush because it's meant to be a very subtle makeup look. I took my Sleek 'Rose Gold' blush on my Real Techniques Blush Brush and applied it lightly to the apples of my cheeks, blending it out. Simple as that. .



EYES



01 - Because my eyelids were so red, I took a concealer to cancel that out and form a base. I used Boi-ing from Benefit and just applied this to my lid with my finger.




02 - Then I used Maybelline's Color Tattoo in On and On Bronze and applied that all over my lid with my finger. Essie Button brought this shade to my attention. Though in the USA, it's named 'Bad To The Bronze'. It is an amazing base shadow and you can leave this look just as it is right here with this cream shadow or you can continue on as I did.


03 -  I recently found this W7 In The Buff eyeshadow palette and immediately picked it up having already bought In The Nude. To start with I took the Chocolate shade on my Eco Tools Eye Enhancer Duo brush and used the Blend side to apply it to my crease and outer corner only. This is a really pigmented shade and you only need the slightest dab. I blended this until it was how I wanted it.





04 - Then I took Sand on the Smudge side of that brush and applied this all over my lid, concentrating on the main part over where my iris would be and lash line.

05 - To lighten my eyelid up a little further, I took Buff and patted that on my eyelid to soften up the Chocolate shade.  




06 -  My faaaaaavourite part! /Sarcasm. Because it's a subtle look I didn't want to line my eyes too much. I took my MAC Powerpoint eye pencil in Bountiful Brown and applied this to my tightline and just ever so slightly to my waterline, going about a quarter of the way along on the waterline.




07 - I then curled my eyelashes and applied Revlon's Lash Potion Mascara in Blackened Brown to my upper and lower lashes.




08 - Just like Declan does with the Abnormals in Sanctuary, I had to tame some beasts, aka my eyebrows. Okay, so it's not quite as dangerous as his job. I used my Soap & Glory Archery brow pencil and brush pen and combed through my brows first before filling them in slightly with the pencil end. I have no brow game, people. No brow game, at all.




09 - Then to keep everything in place in the brow field, I used my ELF Brow and Lash Clear mascara. Naturally, I used the Brow side to brush the clear mascara through my brows.


LIPS
01 - For a nice nude lip, I took my new Rimmel Exaggerate Lip Liner in East End Snob to line and fill my lips in. I've fallen in love with this liner after seeing Amelia Liana use it!
02 - Then for something a little extra, I took Wet N Wild's Balm Stain in E126 and just placed it over the lip liner. And that was me done with my makeup.







My jacket was from Next, I believe. My Mum gave it to me for Christmas about three Christmasses ago and I recently found where it had been hiding for the past lough of months. It's a very Declan-esque jacket, especially the colour and I may find myself rocking it more often. Or, at least trying to rock it, haha.

I hope that you enjoyed this type of post and if you did please let me know what you thought about it and if there is anybody else that you would like to see done this way as I have plans to feature a few more posts like this in the future. I hope you all have a great weekend.



** Disclaimer: Sanctuary images from here.

Comments

Popular Posts