TUTORIAL || Olivia Mell [The Cherry Orchard]



Since I did a tutorial for a look inspired by Mary McDonnell's makeup from the promotional photographs for the production of The Cherry Orchard, I thought that it might be fun to bring you a tutorial for her daughter's makeup from it. Olivia Mell was in the same production and funnily enough acted as Mary's character's daughter, Anya. Mother and daughter played mother and daughter. I'm beyond in love about how cute that is. On the final day of The Cherry Orchard's run, Olivia shared a selfie on her Facebook page showing her stage makeup and I just had to jump at the chance to try and replicate it using products, brushes included, that you can find in the drugstore.





Olivia's makeup is very similar to Mary's which I've done a tutorial of - here - but her makeup has slight differences which is why I wanted to do this tutorial. Side point, I'm not doing this tutorial because Olivia is Mary's daughter. I am genuinely excited to see her career soar and reach new heights. I listened to her demo reel on her website and watched clips of her on YouTube [not stalking!] and the girl has talent. Olivia Mell is an actress is her own right and I cannot wait to see what she does next. I may not be able to witness it as an audience member, but I'll certainly be following her career for years to come. So with al that being said, let's get into the tutorial.

As always, these are products that I have in my collection. You don't have to use everything listed below, particularly the foundation and concealers etc. as your skin tone won't match mine. Irish skin problems. You use your shades and even with the eyeshadows, getting the gist is perfectly okay.


Makeup Used:
  • L'Oreal Paris Infallible Mattifying Primer
  • Rimmel Match Perfection - Ivory
  • Maybelline Fit Me Concealer - 15 Light
  • Collection Lasting Finish Concealer - Fair
  • Bourjois Healthy Balance Unifying Powder - Vanilla
  • The Body Shop Honey Bronzer - Fair
  • Sleek Rose Gold Blush
  • Rimmel Exaggerate Full Colour Lip Liner - East End Snob
  • Revlon ColorBurst Balm Stain - Honey
  • L'Oreal Paris Color Riche Mono Eyeshadow - 107 Macaron Vanille
  • L'Oreal Paris Color Riche Mono Eyeshadow - 204 Golden Nude
  • L'Oreal Paris Color Riche Mono Eyeshadow - 106 Breaking Nude
  • Rimmel ScandalEyes Gel Eyeliner - Black
  • Rimmel Wonder'Full Mascara
  • Soap & Glory Archery 2 in 1 Eyebrow Pencil - Blondeshell

Tools Used:
  • Real Techniques Buffing Brush
  • Real Techniques Expert Face Brush
  • Real Techniques Contour Brush
  • Real Techniques Powder Brush
  • Real Techniques Base Shadow Brush
  • Eco Tools Duo Eye Enhancer brush - Blend
  • Real Techniques Fine Liner Brush
  • Ted Baker Eyelash Curlers
  • Real Techniques Blush Brush


COMPLEXION



  • As always, I prime my skin. You don't have to do this but I find my makeup sits on my skin a lot better when I have it primed. I'm using L'Oreal Paris Infallible Mattifying primer. I dot it around my face and then rub it in with my fingers, then pressing it into my under eye area.



  • My much loved Rimmel Match Perfection Foundation is getting another outing but you use whatever foundation suits you. I'm using the shade Ivory. I dot it around my skin and then buff it in using my Real Techniques Buffing Brush.


  • To cover the blemishes that decided to blight my skin, I used my Maybelline Fit Me Concealer in the Light 15 shade. You can skip the concealer stage if you want to, but I had to do it as up at my forehead my psoriasis decided to make itself known so I had to cover that. I blended my concealer out using my Real Techniques Expert Face Brush.


  • Using my Collection Lasting Finish Concealer in Fair, I drew an upside down-ish triangle shape under my eyes. This will brighten the undereye area and make look you a bit more awake and alive. I also drew a line on the bridge of my nose. I blended this out using the opposite end of my Real Techniques Expert Face Brush. A tip to make yourself look even more awake is to blend the excess up towards your temple following the lashline. I also took the excess onto my eyelid to prime my eyes for eyeshadow later.



  • Then to set everything, I used my Bourjois Healthy Balance Unifying Powder in Vanilla along with 2 of my Real Techniques brushes, the Contour Brush and the Powder Brush. I use the Contour Brush to set under my eyes and my T-Zone and the powder brush to set everything else.
EYES & BROWS


  • Now for the eyes. First of all, I need to set the concealer that I used to prime my eyes and to create the base for the shadows. I took my L'Oreal Paris Color Riche Mono Eyeshadow in Macaron Vanille on a Real Techniques Base Shadow Brush and applied it all over my lid, crease and up to my brow bone.



  • Olivia's eye makeup was quite difficult to figure out but I've gone with a soft contoured eye look. So, with that in mind, I took another Color Riche shadow from L'Oreal, the shade Golden Nude, on an EcoTools Eye Enhancer brush - this brush is dual ended and I used the blending side. I concentrated this at my crease which is where my eyelid and brow bone meet and then slightly brushing it in towards the centre of the lid from that outer corner.



  • Then, to add a little more depth, I took another Color Riche shadow, Breaking Nude on an eyeshadow brush from Seventeen and applied that to my crease.



  • To brighten it up again and to kinda sharpen that distinction between eyelid and crease, I took the Macaron Vanille shade on the same Base Shadow Brush and packed it all over my lid.


  • Now for the hard part but my favourite part of this look - the eyeliner. On stage your makeup is twice as much because you have to be seen and the lanterns have 800+W in them so once the light from it hits you, it can wash you out and make you look as white as a sheet. I haven't done that with the foundation as I want this look to be wearable, but it explains why Olivia had such a strong eyeline game going on. Girl, I'm jealous! Just saying. So to line my eyes, I took my much loved Rimmel ScandalEyes gel liner pot and a Real Techniques Fine Liner Brush. I find the fine liner brush is easier for me to use but you can use whatever brush you want, or even go for a kohl pencil or liquid pen. All I did was line my upper lash line with a thick line. I started off with a thin one and then thickened it, building it up until I got it the way that I wanted it. Take your time with this. I certainly did. Also, don't flick it out into a cateye.



  • Then I curled my eyelashes and applied the Wonder'Full mascara from Rimmel. I do like this mascara. It isn't my favourite from the drugstore but I thought I'd whip it out for this tutorial. I applied a couple of coats to my upper lashes and then lightly applied a coat to  my bottom lashes. I know that I dotted some on my inner corner but a trick to remove mascara when that happens is to wait until it has completely dried and then flick it off.



  • For my brows, I combed through them and filled them in using Soap & Glory's Archery eyebrow pencil. Olivia's brows were on point and weren't overdone. They looked very natural and so I filled in my sparse spots and defined them a little bit.


FINISHING TOUCHES



  • To warm up my face, I took my Honey Bronzer in Fair from The Body Shop and a Real Techniques Blush Brush and went around my face in a lazy three shape hitting the hit points of my forehead, temples, cheeks and jawline. I didn't want to contour my face at all with this look.


  • Now for some blusher. I have been loving this blush and it's probably one of the few drugstore ones that I actually one. I took Sleek's Rose Gold blush on my Real Techniques Blush Brush (different brush to the bronzer) and dusted it over the apples of my cheeks.


  • Last but my no means least, we move onto the lips. I did my lips last because when doing eyeliner, I tend to rest the heel of my hand onto my face and it usually ends up being close to my lips - Result = smudged lipstick hence why I'm doing it last. I couldn't decide what kind of lip colour Olivia had for this production so I kinda winged it. I took my Rimmel Exaggerate lipliner in the shade East End Snob to line my lips and then fill them in.
  • Over the top of that liner, I took my Revlon ColorBurst balm stain in Honey.
  • I then tidied everything up and took away that mascara blob once it had dried.
  • Throw your hair into a side plait/braid and you're done. My parting goes the opposite way to Olivia so my plait is on a different side but the plait goes on the side with your parting.







You can put as much bronzer or blush on as you like. I love a touch of blush on my cheeks hence why it looks barely there on camera but in real life, it was enough for me. This is a very wearable look for work or running errands and I really like it. (And my lighting changed towards the end of filming. Darn sunlight!)
My top is from George and my earrings were a birthday present from my best friend and I don't know where she got them but she has excellent taste. I'm finally able to wear earrings again after my ear healing. Yes!
Thank you for stopping by and I hope that you enjoyed this look.
Disclaimer: All images of Olivia Mell and The Cherry Orchard are not mine and from their respective owners.  Olivia Mell Facebook image || The People's Light Production photography.

Comments

Popular Posts