St. Patrick's Day in Downpatrick


Yesterday was St. Patrick's Day here in Ireland and all across the country, and the globe apparently, there were celebrations and parades. I went to the parade held in Downpatrick, County Down. For those of you that don't know, Downpatrick is named after St. Patrick. It's Gaelic name is Dún Pádraig - Patrick's Stronghold as the stronghold was once on Mound of Down which sits just outside the town overlooking and protecting what had been the Ancient City of Down (the county in Ireland). Additionally, Downpatrick is said to be the burial place of St. Patrick according to the legend.

Every year on March 17th, the town hosts a parade to celebrate St. Patrick's Day where the community from near and far come together for a day of festivities. I go to the parade every year with my Mum and we like to sit on the wall opposite the police station on Irish Street in the town. It's a great vantage point as there aren't as many people crowded at that area as there would be on Market Street. I took some photos of the event this year.



My view looking down Irish Street of the parade route before it turns down Market Street.


The parade is always led by 'St. Patrick'. I don't know how this man walks on the roads in his bare feet. The parade route is a couple of miles long so I don't know how he does it.





Irish wolf-hounds. I love them. They're another iconic part of the parade. There is always a wolf hound in it. The previous 'St. Patrick' walked with a wolfhound at the beginning of the parade.























In the square in the town centre was a stage for entertainment. This band were amazing!


In the town centre there were a few food vendors and Mum and I bought some (read, 4) slices of cheesecakes of various flavours from this cute company called A Slice of Heaven that's based in Newtownards. This one is Cadbury's Crunchie and it was honestly the best cheesecake I have ever tasted and I've had a lot! I still have Guinnes & Chocolate in the fridge. 


Being a good Irish lass, I wore green (even if it isn't the real colour). My cardigan is from George at Asda, my Shamrock top is from Target and I bought this in Lubbock, Texas when I spent St. Patrick's Day there two years ago and my trousers are from New Look.

For my makeup, I went all out and experimented with colours that I've never played with before, i.e. anything that isn't pink, brown or black. I have the Make Up Revolution Ultimate Eyeshadow palette with a colossal 144 eyeshadows that range in colour and finish. It was the perfect palette for this look with it's multiple green shades. The golden part came from my Little Mix Love eyeshadow palette from Collection.
Makeup used:
  • Primer: L'Oreal Infallible Mattifying Primer
  • Foundation: L'Oreal Infallible 24hr Foundation - Porcelain & Vanilla
  • Concealer: Maybelline Fit Me Concealer - 15 Fair
  •                   Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer - Fair
  • Powder: L'Oreal True Match Powder - Rose Ivory
  • Blush: NARS Orgasm
  • Bronzer: Urban Decay Naked Flushed Palette - Streak
  • Highlighter: Urban Decay Naked Flushed Palette - Streak
  • Lipstick: Seventeen Stay Pout - Just A Fling
  • Eyeshadow: Make Up Revolution Ultimate Eyeshadow Collection
  •                      Collection Little Mix Love Eyeshadow Palette
  • Eyeliner: Wet N Wild Mono Eyeshadow - Panther
  •                 Rimmel ScandalEyes Gel Liner
  •                Helen E Soft Black Liner
  • Mascara: Maybelline The Rocket
  • Brows: Soap & Glory Archery 2 in 1 Eyebrow Pencil
I hope you all had a wonderful St. Patrick's Day.. I had a lovely day and I treated myself to a beer with my dinner.

Comments

Popular Posts