May Favourites || 2015



Don't worry, friends, I haven't lost my mind. There is a reason why my favourites are being posted on Fandom Friday. It's a good reason, I promise. All posts next week are going to be fandom related in preparation for a certain show coming back to US screens. I honestly cannot wait for that, so as a result, I'm dedicating a whole week to it. Why? Because I caaaaaaaaaan. That's why my May favourites are coming to you today. That's a good reason, right? Anyway, without further adieu, let's get to the favourites.

B E A U T Y

As much as I should have an long list of beauty favourites, (I bought a lot when I went to Barcelona at the end of April), I haven't really had a chance to properly play around with it. I really wish I had because there were some crazy awesome things in there but I haven't had a chance to really play. I haven't been going out in the evenings which is when I would've experimented with looks. I've been opting for staying home with the TV and sleeping, mostly because I'm working early on Sunday mornings. However, I do have some favourites; [SPOILER ALERT] two foundations, a lipstick, three makeup brushes and a makeup remover.



L'OREAL MATTIFYING INFALLIBLE FOUNDATION - PORCELAIN

I had been intrigued by this foundation for a while. A lot of YouTubers and bloggers have been raving about it lately. They were loving it and gushing over the finish that it gave their skin. It was a mattifying formulation but it didn't leave the skin looking extremely matte and dry looking. It gave a healthy glow to the skin which is what most people want from a foundation, right?. Cue me intrigued. 

I was not disappointed! I loved the normal Infallible foundation, I've raved about it here on my blog and I wanted to test out it's counterpart because the packaging seemed better for travel - it's a squeezy tube and not a glass bottle. I liked how this applied and how it sat on my skin. The colour matched me well. I struggle finding foundations that have the correct undertone for me. I am so pale and my face doesn't match my neck which doesn't match my decolletage even though I haven't gone anywhere near fake tan in over a year (thank you for that, Strictly Come Dancing fundraiser!). This has amazing coverage and really makes me look my best. A definite winner!



REVLON COLORSTAY FOUNDATION - IVORY

I actually bought this on a whim because Boots were having a 3 for 2 offer on Revlon makeup. I bought two of their lipglosses and this foundation. I instantly fell in love with it. I don't even mind the smell. I actually like it. I think that this foundation is the perfect match for me. I chop and change between this foundation and the L'Oreal one above depending on the situation but this one has been my most reached for throughout May whenever I've done my makeup. 

It has fantastic coverage, it blends out beautifully and it matches me! I love it. The only flaw with this is that it doesn't have a pump and I have to pour a blob out onto the back of my hand thus having to end up with the foundation circle on the hand. I've been told that the pump from the L'Oreal True Match will go on it. However, I'm nowhere near finishing one of those. Dang. Other than that, I love it. 

MAC LIPSTICK - TWIG

My fangirl made me do it! If you saw my MAC Collection post or my Kathryn Janeway makeup tutorial, you will know that I bought this lipstick because it's the one that the Voyager MUA used on Kate Mulgrew. Just like with Mary McDonnell, I made a bee-line to my nearest MAC counter and picked up this bad boy. I instantly fell in love with it. It's been my go-to lipstick for the past couple of weeks. It really is a 'my lips but better' shade. It wears really well on my lips, it doesn't dry my lips out at all and it smells like doughnuts. What more could a girl want?




SEPHORA 45 MINERAL POWDER BRUSH

I use this as a foundation brush. Who needs rules? 


Anyway. I picked this brush up in Barcelona after wanting it for ages. Thank you, Essie Button. This applied my foundation like a dream. I go between this and my Sigma F80 brush for my foundation and I honestly can't choose between them. The bristles are extremely soft. The brush is small enough to get under my eyes and around my nose area. It's fantastic.



SEPHORA 73 CREASE SHADOW BRUSH

This brush is my first line of attack when it comes to my eyeshadows. I use this for my transition shades and it is perfect to get at that crease area. The tapered design of it allows it to navigate the contours of the eye socket and above. It's super soft and blends out any eyeshadows beautifully. I can even use the edge to really define the crease and have some more precision.



DELIPLUS POLVOS BRUSH

You had to know that this was going to be here. I'll keep this short and sweet because I've raved about it fully in its own blog post - HERE. It's super soft. It's pretty. It applies blush like a dream. I love it. Done. Short and sweet.



DELIPLUS DESMAQUILLADOR DE OJOS Y LABIOS: Larga Duración

I was introduced to this makeup remover by my friend Emma when I was with her in Barcelona. She highly recommended it for removing eye and lip makeup. It even promises to remove waterproof makeup (el maquillaje resistente al agua). It really does the job. I've used this on smokey and heavy eye makeup and it has taken it all off better than anything I've ever tried. My eye area can be very sensitive and prone to extreme dryness with some makeup removers and this didn't do a thing to my skin. It removed every last bit of makeup, eyeliner and mascara. It's a two phase product so you have to give it a good shake before applying it to a cotton pad. If you're in Spain, pick this up from Mercadona! 


T E L E V I S I O N

Shockingly, for the first time in months, I have TV favourites and they aren't re-watches!



GRACE & FRANKIE

I had wanted to watch this for a couple of weeks because I had seen it advertised and I'm a sucker for anything Lily Tomlin is in. I was off work for two days and so I decided to fire up Netflix and give this show a whirl. You know what? I watched it all in one day... Yup, I marathoned it. I loved it that much. Once one episode ended, I had to find out what happened next.

I loved the storyline of this show, it can be a little far-fetched in places but that's the beauty of it. It doesn't have to be believable but it is relevant and it made me laugh endlessly. I loved the characters. I found Sol to be the most adorable character, I just wanted to cuddle him all the time. Those eyes of his! When he throws up those puppy dog eyes, I just melted. My two dogs could probably learn from him. I loved Grace's sass and Frankie's, well, frankness for want of a better word. It also surprised me when I recognised one of the cast from NTSF:SD:SUV. I really loved it. I can't wait to see a second season. 



THE GOLDBERGS

I haven't been watching this show religiously but I have been watching it when I've caught it on E4. I wanted to watch it from the adverts for it and it has Wendi McLendon-Covey. I've loved her in a number of her projects, Bridesmaids and Blended to name a couple. I caught a bunch of the episodes and I've really enjoyed them. I love Adam and how he captures his family on his camera and how the creator based this around his own family and his own home videos. 


B O O K




BORN WITH TEETH - KATE MULGREW

Again, you had to know that this was going to be featured. I got my hands on Kate Mulgrew's memoir, Born With Teeth early on in May from the US and I read it in three days. I would've been finished sooner had I not been working and blogging and eating. I rewarded myself in the evenings with this book and a nice cup of Salted Caramel Green Tea from Twinings. You can read my review on this book HERE

Just to reiterate, I love that Kate Mulgrew put pen to paper and wrote her memoir. It felt like a very intimate thing for me to read. I have been a fan of hers since I was eleven and to read some of things in this book felt surreal and if I were talking to her about her life over a nice glass of wine. I hope she continues to write, not necessarily autobiographically.


M U S I C   &   Y O U T U B E


LADY ANTEBELLUM - 747 

This has been played over and over on my Spotify playlist. I have it playing all the time; when I'm getting ready, when I'm doing my makeup, when I'm reading, when I'm puttering around the house, when I'm working on my laptop or when I'm cooking. This album is playing. There isn't a dud song on this album to me. I love them all. My favourites though are Bartender, Lie With Me and Sounded Good At The Time. I love Hillary's voice and the boys are amazing too. I cannot say enough good things about this album. I seriously want to get this and listen to it over and over in my car!

GRAV3YARDGIRL 

May was the month of Bunny Meyer aka grav3yardgirl on YouTube. Her channel had been one of the most suggested ones and somehow I was never drawn to it. Then one day, I just clicked on one of her recent Sephora haul videos and I was bitten by the gator! I became a member of the Swamp Family and gave an alligator it's wings. That's kind of her catchphrase. I binge watched a whole lot of her videos and I love her. I love her care-free attitude and she's bonkers to boot. I love that. I love when someone is so in-tune with their own weirdness and doesn't give a Fiddler's what anyone thinks. It really helps me to really embrace my own weirdness. I've known that I'm weird for the longest time but I've always kept that to myself and with a few select people and confined to online basically. Now, I'm really letting people in my life here know, "Hey, I'm weird!" and they better get used to it. 





There you have it, my favourites from the month of May. I can't believe it's nearly June. I can't believe that in a juuuuuust over three weeks, I'll be going on my mother's birthday cruise. My June favourites are going to be epic! Watch this space!


Comments

Popular Posts