TUTORIAL || Queen Amidala [Star Wars: The Phantom Menace]


Long ago in a galaxy far, far away, Kazzie was never that fussed about makeup. There has been a great disturbance in the Force... 

As a bonified Star Trek fan, I actually watched Star Wars first. I love both and I won't choose between the two. I'm not one of those people that say you have to be either/or about Star Trek or Star Wars. For First Contact Day, I did some makeup looks inspired by Star Trek. Monday was May the Fourth, Star Wars Day because it sounds like you're saying 'May the Force', especially if you have the Republic of Ireland accent, get it? Anyway, for this week's fandom Friday, I'm doing a makeup tutorial for Queen Amidala from Star Wars episode I, The Phantom Menace



T H E   F A C E




To start with I used my always-mentioned L'Oreal Infallible Mattifying Primer. I rubbed this into my skin and patted it under my eyes to get at those pores.






Since Queen Amidala's Regal makeup is practically stark white throughout the entire movie,  the look from the movie's peace celebrations is not as painted as the other looks and appears a smidgen more 'natural'. Yep, the inverted commas were busted out.

For my foundation, I took my Rimmel Lasting Finish Nude foundation in Light Porcelain. This is barely a breath lighter than my actual skin tone and this is actually my Winter foundation. Pale girl problems. I used my Real Techniques Expert Face Brush to buff this into my skin and over my eyelids to act as the primer. (My other brushes were filthy. I knew you'd want to know that). I made sure to cover my lips with my foundation too. You'll look crazy but it'll all come together shortly.





I wanted a little bit more coverage under my eyes and used my Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer in Fair. I used my Real Techniques Pointed Foundation Brush to pat this in.





I used my L'Oreal True Match powder in Rose Ivory to set everything. I used my Real Techniques Contour Brush to set the concealer and a few patches around my T-zone.






I filled in my eyebrows using my ever trusty Soap & Glory Archery 2-in-1 eyebrow pencil - I use Blondeshell. I brushed the hairs through and then filled the sparse parts with the pencil. Amidala's brow tail looked rather straight rather than curved and arched. I tried to copy this by having the tail go out straighter than I would normally do it. 





There doesn't seem to be much going on with her eyelids but there is some dimension there. I'm not sure if it's natural shadows from the contours of Natalie Portman's eyes but I took a matte grey eyeshadow - I took Thunder from the Sleek i-Divine Ultra Matte v2 eyeshadow palette - on my MAC 217 and applied this to my crease. I blended this out so that there was just a hint of it left. 





To neutralise any grey shadow that dropped below the crease I took an eyeshadow that was close to my skin tone, for me that is Creme Brulee from Wet n Wild. I took that onto my KIKO 203 Flat eyeshadow brush and patted it all over my lid, aiming to create some soft dimension to my eyes. 





I then took my Rimmel Special Eyes Precision Eyeliner pencil and ran that along my tightline only.







I curled my eyelashes and applied several coats of my Seventeen FalsifEye HD mascara* to  my top and bottom lashes. I tried to be very precise with my lower lashes by turning the wand vertical and using the very tip to coat the lashes. 

Now for the fun part.....or the part that will make you curse up a storm and make you question why you ever decide to do this kind of look. Or not, I don't know because I didn't struggle with this at all. *Pinocchio nose* Word or warning, keep that foundation or concealer handy.





Before I took anything red anywhere near my lips, I took a white eyeshadow, I used Pillow Talk from my Sleek palette from before and patted that all over my lower lip using that KIKO brush from before. 





I lined my upper lip with KIKO's Precision Lip Pencil in 306 Geranium Red. Try, try, try not to rub your lips together. I know it's instinct but hit the Pause button on that or you'll end up very frustrated. 





On my buttom lip, I first drew a line down to middle and then drew two corresponding diagonal lines to make a kind of soft triangle but rounded off the point to make a semi-circle tip. I actually found the makeup chart for Queen Amidala's look and it's a semi-circle and not a solid rectangular column. Keep an eye on how far you draw those diagonals. I got a little eager.







To intensify that liner, I took my NYX Matte Lipstick in MLS08 Pure Red and applied that to my upper lip first. This is where that desire to rub the lips together really takes hold. Resist! Resist! (I'm trying to not do a fandom clash and quote the Borg by saying that it's futile!) I then filled in the red part on the bottom lip with my Real Techniques Detailer Brush. I took a bit of the lipstick on the brush and traced over the lip liner.

If you mess up, you can go back in with a mix of your foundation, setting powder and your white eyeshadow to tidy everything up. Take your time and keep calm. It is difficult to resist that urge to press your lips together and knowing that you can't do it, makes it even more torturous. 






Now for the dots. I'm not sure what the geometry of these are but I just guessed by using screencaps, promotional photographs and the makeup artist's graph. I looked straight into my mirror and held my lip liner vertically to the outside of the iris of my eye. I then put a dot where I believed the highest point that my cheekbone was olong that axis created by the pencil. I slowly made it bigger and rounder so that it was a circle. People tend to draw this too big. It's actually really quite small so don't go overboard.




And match it on the opposite side.





I took the detailer brush again with that lipstick on it and intensified those dots.



T H E    H A I R 




For my hair, I took this head chain hairband from New Look and placed it on my head and pulled the hair of my crown out and over it. I left a section about an inch or two in width from either side of my part free and gathered the rest of my hair into a high bun.






I pinned the sides of my bun down and pinned some of my hair down at the front to hide the bobble. I then took the parts I left free and layered them over the band of the head chain to hide it and secured them with grips. And you're all done. You can use some hairspray to keep everything in place but I didn't do that.






Now to go shopping looking like this! Just kidding. But wouldn't that be a hoot and a half? I love the head chain that I got from New Look. Isn't it gorgeous? Personally, I think that I would suit this look with my hair down but Amidala had her hair up so I had to follow suit, except I didn't do the whole six mini-buns aspect of the look. It's fortunate for me that headchains are on trend right now or I'd have to try and figure out how to attach a necklace to my head.

I hope that you enjoyed this tutorial for this week's Fandom Friday.As always, I'd love to know what you think and I'd love to hear your suggestions and requests for future posts, Fandom Friday or not. Have a wonderful weekend, everyone,


Comments

  1. Really cool post. I probably would have messed the lip part up a few times at least. I just cannot resist the urge to press my lips together at all. :') Really love the shade of the lipstick. I guess that's another NYX Matte lipstick to add to my list. :3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl, you should've seen me FIXING my bottom lip. The video has a good 15 minutes of me fixing it and cursing my instincts. A pain does not even begin to describe it haha. That lipstick is awesome! I was given it at Christmas as a present. I love it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts