BOOK TALK || Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor


FINALLY! I'm getting around to posting my thoughts online about this absolute gem of a book. I picked up Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor in Belfast airport when heading on holiday to Portugal. I started it mid-way of my holiday and I couldn't put it down. I didn't want to put it down. I was captivated by this treasure from the very first sentence. Anytime I had to put it down, I was devastated and felt like I was going cold-turkey. I couldn't wait to get back to the villa and pick up and continue. 





This was the first book that I had ever read by Laini Taylor and I was not disappointed. Her writing style captivated me and spurred me to read from sentence to sentence to discover more about this mystical and ancient world and to find out what happens to the characters that I was falling in love. I know that some people thought that the plot moved quite slowly at first but for me, it moved at the perfect pace to entice my curiosity. I was curious about Lazlo Strange and his obsession with books and Weep (like looking in a mirror). 

In filming the featured book talk video, I had to film it 4 times to get my thoughts into a succinct order. Or what resembled a succinct order. This book gave me so much joy and excitement that every time I went to open my mouth, all I wanted to do was go 'ASDFGHJKLMNBGWHADBJAS' - that's how succinct my thoughts were. 




With the characters themselves, it felt like I was encountering old friends because in my head, I was seeing Morgause and Cenred from BBC's Merlin in two of the main characters and that made it all the more endearing to me because I wanted to see what happened to them - if you know me, you will know much I LOVE Morgause and Cenred. I devoured this book. The characters themselves were very complex, endearing, intriguing, relatable, unlikeable and a pure joy to get to know. 


WATCH MY BOOK TALK VIDEO ⇓


I loved this book so much that I bought the hardback version so that I could have the beautiful blue edges on my book shelf....who am I kidding? I have no self-control. That's the real reason. 




Characters:              ✥✥✥✥✥
Plot:                         ✥✥✥✥✥
Originality:               ✥✥✥✥
Writing Style:           ✥✥✥✥✥
Cover Artwork:         ✥✥✥✥✥
Recommendable:     ✥✥✥✥✥

I cannot wait to see what happens next to the characters that I have become so invested in. 



Comments

Popular Posts