TV Shows That I Am Thankful For


Like it says on the tin, this is a post (and video) about the television programmes that I am most thankful for. Thankful in that they mean everything to me and have brought everything to me. They have a special place reserved in my heart. They are my happy place. They are constantly not far from my mind (seriously, I can relate anything back to Sanctuary at the moment) and they are very near and dear to me. So without rambling on too much, (this is a pretty succinct intro), let's get into it. 



S T A R    T R E K :  V O Y A G E R

This show meant everything to me when I was 11-years-old. I first started watching it in the summer between primary school and high school and it opened my mind to all kinds of possibilities. I wanted to be in that world. I wanted to be Kathryn Janeway. I wanted to be Kate Mulgrew. I wanted to be on Voyager and have these adventures.



At the same time, I wanted to know everything about this show and everything about Kate Mulgrew. That in turn lead me onto the internet to the realms of online fanclubs and forums. Safe forums where fellow fans can talk and chat. There I met one of my dearest friends and longest friend that I met through the internet. We've been friends for close to 14 years and I've only met her a handful of times as she lives in Spain. Being a fan of Voyager and Kate Mulgrew has brought me many new friends from all over the world all of whom I adore and call my family.

Additionally, Star Trek: Voyager introduced me to the world of fan-fiction. It was the first fandom that I ever endeavoured to write fan-fiction for. Some still reside in the realms of fanfiction.net but they weren't the best. To this day, I love reading Voyager stories. I'm thankful that the book series continues long after the series has ended. Kirsten Beyer continues to do an amazing job and I cannot wait for the next installments. Janeway and Chakotay live on in the books as an actual couple. I'm ridiculously happy about this.



T H E    O . C .

Probably a show that you wouldn't expect considering that I'm science-fiction on the brain, but The O.C. was the show that launched everything that was to follow. This show led me to the forum for Kelly Rowan which we affectionately called KRO and then TPU. I met and made friendships with a lot of girls all over the world on that forum, we're still friends to this day.

 

The O.C. led me to the online blogging forum Livejournal. After that, the rest as they say was history because it led me to the vast majority of my online friends and my 'sisters' because I met all of them through Livejournal. The O.C. introduced me to graphic art. The forums that I became a member of through The O.C. all had avatars and banners. I wanted to make my own because I didn't like a lot of the ones that I was seeing. I started off using Paint Shop Pro and using trial and error to make my own. Now, I use Photoshop. I still Macguyver everything I do but I still love my art.



B A T T L E S T A R    G A L A C T I C A

As with all of my shows I fixate on one actor and then watch everything they do. With BSG, I fell in love with Mary McDonnell who played Laura Roslin. I then watched a crap ton of her work. I fell in love with Dances With Wolves. I cannot stomach the theatrical release of that movie. I need to watch the director's cut every time despite it being spread over two DVD discs and being about 3 hours long. Ass-numbing for sure. But it simply makes more sense to me than the theatrical version.


But with this love for Mary McDonnell, I was led to Major Crimes. If you've been around my blog for a while, you will know that my blog was practically a guide to being Mary McDonnell a couple of years ago. I was obsessed with Major Crimes and there was a Major Crimes related post every week at least. I'm not so obsessed with it at present but this show still brought me amazing friends because they found my blog posts and they started commenting and following me on my social media accounts and we bonded from there. People still visit my blog for those Mary and Major Crimes related posts. So thankful.



S A N C T U A R Y

This show is high on my 'thankful' list, right behind Voyager. This show introduced me to the most amazing girls that I have ever met and they are my sisters-in-arms and I cannot imagine my life without them.

Sanctuary and Stargate SG-1 came into my life at the same time. When on Livejournal, a lot of the girls that I had become friends with through a mutual love of Voyager were also fans of SG-1 and a new upcoming show (then in the webisodes phase) called Sanctuary. They say curiosity killed the cat and in this case curiosity killed me, buried me, dug me up again, revived me and then killed me again because Sanctuary had that great an impact on my life.



I fell in love with Amanda Tapping, Emilie Ullerup, Christopher Heyerdahl and Robert Lawrenson. Especially Emilie and Robert. I loooooved their characters beyond words. I still despise the show for killing off Emilie's character and I will forever hate Will with an undying passion (I would watch it every day if it weren't for Will. DIE!). Nevertheless, thanks to this show it introduced me to the world of Role-Playing Games. I signed up for one and I played Ashley Magnus (Emilie Ullerup's character) and my character started to interact with Declan Macrae (Robert Lawrenson's character). I loved it. It was so much fun. The characters never actually shared a scene in the show but that didn't stop me and the player behind Declan Macrae from bonding. We started talking and we quickly became friends. I absolutely adore her and cannot imagine my life without her. We have been through so much together. And I am forever thankful to Sanctuary for that.

As I mentioned with The O.C., I started becoming interested in graphic artwork and fanart. Well, Sanctuary took it to a whole new level. This show inspired me to no end and still inspires me to this day. Sanctuary is still a large part of my life. When I'm reading books, I find characters and threads in them that remind me of Sanctuary. If you've watched any of my Wrap Ups, there probably isn't one where I don't mention Sanctuary and Sanctuary vibes. It's so ingrained in me. Plus, my graphics and fan-art and manipulations usually have an element from Sanctuary in them. I love it and I regret nothing. #dieWilldie



Sanctuary is by no means a perfect show. I hate the vast majority of seasons 3 and 4 but Robert Lawrenson and Jonathon Young make up for it somewhat.



S T A R G A T E   S G - 1



SG-1 and Sanctuary go hand-in-hand because of Amanda Tapping and that love for her so I don't really have much more to add to that. I will say that SG-1 is one that inspired an essay that I never would have imagined myself writing. In my third year of university, a module that I was doing allowed me to write my own essay question and I chose, 'War Discourses and It's Influences In The Media With Special Emphasis on Stargate SG-1 and Battlestar Galactica'....or something to that effect. I wrote it over 7 years ago so I can't exactly remember the title but it was about SG-1 and Battlestar Galactica. I had the most fun with this essay. If you can ever have fun writing an essay. I got to watch SG-1 and BSG. Who wouldn't love that?




There you have it, the five television programmes that I'm thankful for. What are the television shows that you're thankful for? I would love to know. Let's talk in the comments below.


Comments

Popular Posts