THE GUERNSEY LITERARY AND POTATO PEEL PIE SOCIETY


There have only been two instances in my life where a movie trailer has inspired me to read a book long before the movie is due out. The first instance was Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs. The Guernsey Literary And Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows is the second example. I first watched a trailer for the upcoming movie on YouTube back in January and was instantly intrigued by it. It looked like a cute little story and with a title like that, how could I resist?


I bought my copy second-hand on Amazon and to be honest, I feel as if that added a little character to it. The book is told in a different format to most books. It is told through letters. Every letter featured is from a character to another character but they are usually all from or to Juliet, an author who is struggling to find inspiration for her next book. One day, a letter from Guernsey arrives from a man who read her previous publication. The story takes place from there. 

Initially, I was put off by the letters. I couldn't get used to it because I'm so familiar with reading chapters. Nevertheless, I found myself eating my words and loving the format. It was so unique. Originally, I thought that the letters were going to be nothing more than word-vomit superfluous detail - I don't know about you but I do write an enormous amount of waffle in letters. Shaffer and Barrows wrote the most perfect letters for this books. Nothing was out of place. Even the letters from the Guernsey local 'busy-body' had me laughing. A number of the letters made me laugh, made me smile, and ultimately, they made me fall in love with these characters. There were moments where I had half a mind to put pen to paper and write to these characters myself. 

The characters were loveable from the get-go.even the ones that we weren't really supposed to like. All of them were endearing in one way or another. I loved the bond that they all shared through this accidental literary society and how willing they were to talk about it. I think I enjoyed reading their letters more than the fictional Juliet did. The characters were a humbling bunch as each letter unveiled how they helped each other survive the Nazi Occupation of Guernsey and how they are still helping each other to survive. They are all a wonderful array of characters. 


An unexpected aspect of the book was that it educated me. I'm ashamed to admit that I very little about the Channel Islands. The Nazi occupation of the Channel Islands was not covered in any History module that I had in school. The Guernsey Literary And Potato Peel Pie Society educated me on what these people had to deal with before, during and after the Second World War. I found it very humbling and heart-rendering. I felt for these characters and by extension, I feel for what the people of Guernsey actually went through. 


The upcoming adaptation is coming out in cinemas from April 20th and I cannot wait to see it. I have even roped my Mother into coming with me. She hasn't read the book but she is still interested in seeing the movie. I hope that the movie does this wonderful book justice. It has cemented itself as a favourite in my books (pun intended).


Comments

Popular Posts